Your body undergoes significant changes during pregnancy as your hormones change and baby grows.
There is significant research that supports the benefits of exercise and pelvic floor strengthening during pregnancy. At MPFP, we offer group physiotherapy exercise classes (similar to Pilates) and a pregnancy specific group exercise class.
What are the benefits of exercising during my pregnancy?
- Reduces risk of:
- Gestational diabetes
- Pregnancy hypertension
- Pre-natal depression
- Pregnancy lower back and pelvic girdle pain
- Delivery complications
- Faster recovery after delivery
- Prepares the body for delivery
- Improves circulation
- Improves fitness
Why you should see a women’s health physio before giving birth?
- We discuss the benefits of keeping active during pregnancy and what is safe for you & your baby
- We discuss in depth the changes that occur to your body during pregnancy
- We explain the different outcomes that occur with different forms of delivery – from perineal tears to c-section
- Our aim is to education you how best to prepare and recover
Pelvic floor muscle assessment
- We will assess your pelvic floor muscles to assess their strength, endurance, co-ordination and ability to relax (very important for pushing out a baby!)
Bladder and bowel health
- We assess your current function and ensure you have no issues with leakage, pain, difficultly emptying or poo consistency
- We teach different breathing techniques to help you relax your pelvic floor and abdominal muscles
- We can also teach different breathing techniques to assist with pushing during a vaginal delivery
- We discuss the benefits of perineal massage and how to perform this to reduce your risk of tearing during a vaginal delivery
- Movement during labour can help reduce pain and optimize baby’s position in your birth canal
- Your physio can work with you to help find positions that suit your body
- We assess abdominal muscle strength, if you have any abdominal separation and provide advice how best to support this
Are you suffering pregnancy related back, neck, pelvic, hip and/or coccyx pain?
- Pain during pregnancy is common, but not normal and you do not have to put up with it!
- In most cases, physiotherapy can help relieve your pain and help you manage your symptoms better so you can enjoy this exciting time as much as possible
- Treatment can involve
- Hands on treatment and soft tissue massage
- Education and advice for activity modification
- The use of a supportive belt, tubigrip and/or taping
- Individualised assessment of the strength of your muscles and exercises to address this